Joining the world of blogging can be nerve-wracking as there are millions of bloggers out there… however, it is not as daunting as you might imagine it to be!
I started blogging around 18 months ago… I was nervous and I did not believe that my blog would be successful compared to all of the other amazing blogs that I had seen and read! I was shocked when I entered the blogging world, I was expecting it to be harsh and in some ways bitchy and competitive, but it was the complete opposite! The blogging world is more than just a group of writers, it is a community. A very kind, supportive community where you will make connections for life!
I have made some incredible friends through blogging, some who I would love to meet in person one day in the future! However, these people do not just fall in your lap, you need to insert yourself into the community, support others and they will support you…
I know many people who are just starting off in the blogging world as well as people who are still debating whether or not they should give it a go, so I wanted to give some friendly advice and guidance to those people!
New to Blogging? Here Are Some Tips and Pieces of Advice To Inspire You:
- There are many different types of bloggers out there, personal blogs, mental health blogs, lifestyle blogs, beauty blogs, psychology blogs, science blogs, travel blogs and many many more! You can write about whatever you like. Pick a topic that you are interested in and passionate about this keeps you interested in writing posts, rather than picking a topic simply because you feel it is popular and will do well!
- You do not have to blog every single day or even every week! There are many bloggers who consider themselves ‘occasional bloggers’, who will post whenever an idea springs to mind or when they come across a product of some sort that they want to write about! There are no rules to blogging, no set schedule and no set word limit, meaning you can post what you want when you want!
- Find the right place to create your blog… there are many different platforms available for creating and designing blogs (WordPress, Wix and Blogger being some of the most popular choices). Originally, SeeTheUniverse was designed and created by my partner Jacob! We decided to move over to WordPress (though I am still self-hosted), as it was quicker and easier for me to add extra features, rather than waiting for my partner to build them from scratch, as he is working full time as well as hosting my blog! I find WordPress very easy to use and I would definitely recommend it to other bloggers.
- Have a play around with your theme and design, make sure it is easy to navigate before sharing it with the world… there are still a couple of changes I am wanting to make in regards to the mobile view of my blog, but these are nothing too important at this moment in time (Jacob is working on it!)
- Sharing your blog is important! Promote it well! I find Twitter the best social media platform for this although many other bloggers prefer Instagram. Try to include good pictures and captions to catch people’s attention (and hashtags are your best friends!) – I use Canva for creating many of my images and I am currently experimenting with my camera skills.
- Making connections – This is a huge one! Follow other bloggers, not only those who blog about similar topics to yourself but bloggers of all different kinds! Support them, share their posts, interact with them on social media, like and comment on their blog posts and make friends! I have connected with some lovely people and feel as though I have known them all of my life, despite never meeting them in person!
- Do not allow yourself to get stressed when it comes to blogging, try not to see it as a chore. I love blogging, I see it as a form of self-care for me as I enjoy sitting, planning content and writing up posts! I do not see it as something that I have to do, I know that I can take breaks for as long as I need to, or even stop altogether if I wanted to! Blogging should be fun and enjoyable for both the writer and the readers.
- Guest posts! – Try to write some guest posts for other bloggers, or ask others if they would like to guest post for you! It is a nice way to connect with people and show support to them as well as being a good way to get your name out there.
- Competitions and Giveaways – Not all bloggers choose to do this, however it is a good way to draw attention to your social media outlets and your blog page. They do not have to be big grand competitions for expensive prizes, they can be as small as winning a bag of sweets and a personalised letter! People love competitions.
- Be yourself. Do not change who you are, there will be many people out there who will love you just the way you are. Be original, write your own content and if you do use other resources while writing your posts, make sure to refer to them! You do not want to be making enemies or getting into trouble for copywriting.
If you have just started out as a new blogger or are struggling to make connections in the blogging community, please feel free to follow me on social media, send me your blog links and get to know me! I love talking to new people and reading new content.
Twitter – @SeeTheUniverse_
Facebook – @SeeTheUniverseOfficial
Instagram – @SeeTheUniverse_
Pinterest – @SeeTheUniverse_